Friday, April 17, 2009

Episode 13 - Some Like It Hoth

Hi All,

Sorry again for the delay, as our ever continuing saga of "Will Bridget ever get cable?" continues, I only get Internet access via my blackberry when I'm away from work and if you think I was writing this blog on that, you are sorely mistaken. Although the thought did cross my mind ...



SUMMARY


FLASHBACKS

Miles Strom learns at an early age that he has the ability to "communicate" with dead people via their corpse. Miles confronts his mother on her death bed in his teenage years about his ability and asks questions about how he can find his father. She tells him he is dead and he can never go to the place where his body is located. Miles soon learns to use his ability to financially advance himself and he does is strictly for the money. He is then recruited by Naomi to work for Whidmore on the island for $1.6 million and after testing his abilities on a corpse, and he accepts. He is then kidnapped by Bram and offered nothing in exchange for his word to not go to the island. Since Miles is in it for the money he refuses to comply and they drop him out of the van after telling him he isn't ready for the island.

ISLAND
Miles and Hurley team up to drive a corpse to Dr. Marvin Candle, aka Miles' father. On the way, Hurley learns how Miles' father is on the island and Hurley accuses him of not taking destiny up on his second chance to get to know his father. They pick up Candle at the construction site of The Swan aka the Hatch and drive Candle over to the Orchid where he leaves the body. Later in the day, Miles is watching his family when Candle comes out and asks Miles to drive him somewhere. They go to the docks and see Farraday getting off the submarine, he recognizes Miles. Back in Othersville Roger is upset over his missing son and suspects that Kate has something to do with it. He asks Jack about it and Jack tells him to forget it. Later, Sawyer is confronted by Phil about Ben's disappearance claiming he saw the tape of Sawyer helping him escape and Sawyer knocks Phil out.

On to the top 10!

1. Okay so I thought this episode told us nothing. I mean yes it was confirmed that Miles is actually Candles' son but we totally already knew it. And yes we understand Miles can talk to dead people but come on! This we all already knew. We hardly even got new mysteries! That being said, I have tried my best to come up with a top ten list. So coupled together with the fact that I watched it in Spanish, I can't promise anything!

2. Hurley & Miles - So this new comedy team I like. I like how the producers and writers are answering our questions through Hurley. And I totally thought that Hurley was writing a diary of sorts about their island adventures, but alas, he was writing Star Wars! Pretty genius, I guess if I time traveled back in time I would re-write the Harry Potter series before J.K. Rowling and I would be a billionaire and I would buy you all a Firebolt! Woah did I just nerd out right there? Yeah, sorry.

3. The test that Naomi conducted with Miles was pretty clever. Also it makes a lot of sense with why he is there. Looks like Whidmore needs him to get to the bottom of how Ben eliminated Dharma and others. And I like how we got to see the fact that Miles will do just about anything if the price is right.

4. Bram aka annoying guy from October Road - I was certainly shocked to see him ride up and kidnap Miles. Now he can't work for Whidmore if he wanted Miles to stay away from Naomi and her mission and he can't work for Ben is Ben didn't acknowledge him in present time on the island so who does he work for? I'm gonna go with old Dharma. Since Whidmore, who I always thought was Dharma (and still possible could be), is an original Other/Hostile and Ben represents new age Other/Hostile, we still don't have a Dharma representative besides Horace who we all know dies. Also another important thing from this encounter was the re-emergence of the question about the statue's shadow? So looks like we'll find out what is there soon! Maybe dead bodies? Who knows.

5. So I think the most important thing we learned from this episode about time travel is that people from the future can see themselves in the past. Miles saw his family which included himself as a baby. He hasn't interacted with himself yet so I wonder if that is still a possibility but I assume we shall find out soon as I think Miles will try to get to know his father. Man, if I went back in time to see myself as a baby, I think I would start liking kids much more since I'm pretty sure I was an adorable baby.

6. Oh hello Daniel Farraday! We've missed you! So he's back, and I'm pretty sure its to cause the "incident" we are so looking forward to in the season finale (which has been named "the fork in the outlet"). So it looks like he's been working for Dharma all along these past three years, just off the island. So maybe now we will get to see him interact with young Charlotte.

7. The Swan - so they're only just now building the hatch, pre-incident. Maybe they don't know that the hostiles buried the A-bomb under there years ago and somehow during construction it explodes? Or maybe there is another magnetic anomaly somewhere else on the island and they are building this to study it only when the "incident" happens it turns into a save the world kind of station? I certainly don't know but boy am I pumped to find out!

8. Dr. Marvin Candle - Is is just me or do I only love the creepy characters on this show? You can see where Miles gets his awkward personality. What was most intriguing about him this episode is how he handled the corpse situation. This person was working in Hostile territory when all of a sudden his filing in his tooth shot out and went through his brain. Sounds pretty painful, remind me to never work on mysterious islands in Hostile territory with my filings still in tact, err not that I have many since I take good care of them. Well whatever, I never had braces so ha! 8. Marvin Candle - so he is awesomely creepy. Why is it that I feel myself loving the creepy bad assAnywho, back to LOST, so Candle, after disposing of the body at the Orchid station simply acted like a body never existed. So what did he do with it? Did he use the magical donkey wheel to send it somewhere in time and space? Does this sort of thing happen a lot where people die out working in Hostile territory?

9. Kate - um could you BE anymore obvious with Ben's disappearance? How did that girl manage to rob a bank, kill her father, kill her childhood sweetie, crash three cars, and escape? Well I guess not well since she eventually was caught. But Roger has a right to be suspicious. Thankfully his fears were somewhat calmed when Jack spoke to him. Anyone else notice how Jack was erasing an Egyptian history lesson? Erasing history? I smell a metaphor!

10. Sawyer punched out Phil! Phil has been pretty suspicious lately so I guess it was inevitable that he would find out what the old gang was up to but Sawyer's answer was to punch now, figure out later. Looks like your whole "thinking things through first" plan isn't really working. Do I sense the rise of Jack coming? God I hope so.

So next week we get to find out all about what Farraday was up to! I hope it was something good because while this episode confirmed a lot, and even gave just a few mysteries, I was just okay with it. I mean, maybe watching it in Spanish had something to do with it, but it was some uneventful. Also do we really have to wait two weeks again? Oh LOST why do you do this to me! Its okay, I still love you!

Until next week!

xo
B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This seemed to me to be a "filler episode." I want some real action - like Kate and Sawyer! Thanks for the review. They really help with all this confusion. Nan

Briggs313 said...

Thanks Aunt Nan for posting every week :)

On thing I JUST thought of - Hurley gave Miles a warning via Star Wars about how the relationship between Luke and Darth Vader resulted in someone losing an arm ... doesn't Dr. Candle lose an arm at some point? A bit of foreshadowing??? we shall see!!!!!

Kids Love Chains said...

Bridget, you are ridiculously observant